Thursday, March 8

What happened to MY bar?!

Well over the past few months there has been talk that they were going to be doing some renovations at An Tua Nua. I have been told repeatedly that the wall that is in the middle that separates the bar from the seating area was coming down. Now since I know how much Tom the bartender LOVES karaoke (which is not at all) I would always tease him that he was the one that suggested that the wall come down so he would be able to hear us better and make sure he could actually see us preform. He always just laughs he won't come out and say that he doesn't like karaoke but really if you were a captive audience and having to feed people drinks and the more intoxicated people got the more BAD singing you are subjected to I mean it's really a double edge sword.

Anyway I digress... so I walked into An Tua Nua last night and not only did the wall come down and now there are two big bar tables with stools around them where the walls used to be. They also repainted and the walls are now black instead of red. I realize that to those of you that haven't been there before you will hear this and go big deal. They took down a fake wall that was just in the middle of a room and painted the walls a different color. When you walk into the bar it has a totally different feel to it and last night was the first night they have been opened since the renovations so the place smelled of fresh paint. Tom the bartender asked me what I thought and I told him to ask me later I have no idea right now I am still trying to get used it. Wow it looks soo different. He laughed as he always does. Oh I almost forgot to mention that they put up flat screen TVs on the walls. The way karaoke works now is there is a TV on one of the bar tables that you can use while you are singing but the flat screen behind you also is showing the words. Now there are advantages to this people can watch you and sing along at the same time and be very impressed with your skills but there is also the fact that EVERYONE in the bar will know if you make a little hiccup. OOPPS oh well again just something I have to get used to.

Last night was another one of those nights where there was a ton of people out to hang out. I need to remember how warm that bar can get and that if I am going to wear a sweater or sweatshirt that I have a T-shirt of some kind on underneath. Yesterday I wore this cute sweater that I have that has a scarf attached to the sweater and with the bitter tempatures yesterday I thought it was the perfect time to wear it well I was regretting that when I was at Tua's let me tell you. Oh well. I had a good time there was a really good turn out of people and some of my friends that I haven't seen in a while decided to pop in which is always good.

At the end of the night when I was closing my tab Tom the bartender asked me again what I thought. I said "I like it. It definitely opens things up it is just SO different that I don't feel like I am here. Once I get over that and get used it it will be good." He told me that he was having a similar reaction that he looked around a few times that night and was like "where am I". Next week I promise I will bring my camera to karaoke and I will post before and after shots hopefully that will help give you some perspective on why last night felt so weird.

List of songs I preformed last night:
Careless Whisper - Wham
I Touch Myself - The Divinyls

To end the night it was:
Blaze of Glory - Jon Bon Jovi (which I sang with Tracy "BU law student")

No comments: