Monday, May 19

Liam's First Communion

So this weekend was a bit of a big one for me. My nephew and godson Liam had his first communion. Now I know what most of you are thinking "Jackie you have a ton of nieces and nephews why is this any different?" Well I will tell you why this one was different for me Justin was born my Senior year of high school I have pictures of me before the prom holding Justin in my arms. Jack and Hannah were born while I was in college another time where you can rationalize way the fact that you were young when they were born. Now Liam is my brother Mark's first child. He was born the summer after I graduated college and when I was living in RI. I remember driving home to Medway because Carolyn was in Labor and finding out that Liam was born the next morning when I woke up at 6:00 AM. I made sure I got up early enough that I would have time to go to the hospital to meet my nephew before I had to head back to RI and get to work on time. Wow doesn't that make me sound like an adult when he was born? Liam is my first Godson and I was so touched when Mark and Carolyn asked me to be his godmother especially since Carolyn has a sister.


On Saturday I got to watch Liam who will be 8 in August walk down the aisle of the church in his khaki's and blue blazer, he had a speaking part which of course I recorded on a video. I just can't believe he is such a little boy now. My sister Jen is very pregnant with her third child she is due on Friday with her second little girl and I can't wait to meet her. Saturday afternoon at my brother's house seeing all the cousins and family and friends just take over the house it made me realize how lucky I am that I have such a big family and that we all get along so well. That we all decided to stick around and stick by our roots of where we grew up.

When someone asks me if I will ever move out of Massachusetts my typical response is I will give you 9 reasons why it would be very hard for me and once my newest niece comes it will be 10. Getting to watch the kids grow up and seeing their personalities really come to light it is just such a great thing to see. If I was only coming home for holidays or weekend trips I would miss out on so much of that and because of that I feel like I have roots here too. I am not saying never to moving out of Massachusetts but I can say that it would have to be an amazing opportunity and person that would get me to do it. Last weekend was just one of many of the things I might miss out on otherwise.

No comments: