Thursday, May 22

Karaoke Update

Ok so it's Thursday morning and yes I of course was at karaoke last night. I seem to remember starting this blog to let everyone know of my karaoke antics and any other good stories that might come of it. Well last night was just another Wednesday for me but I forget that for most people it would be a big night out. I met Leah at 9:15 and we started walking down to karaoke. We walk in and David was there hanging out at one of the long tables and Kev Jr. was setting up the equipment because his Dad was on vacation. I get Leah and I a beer and then we get a book and try to start deciding on a song.

Now my friend Gretel used to come to karaoke in her younger days a lot more consistently but this was also when Tom would still get a group of people together and he had a tendency to push more then I do. I send out an E-mail every Wednesday to those that have come but I don't really badger anyone I figure they will come if they want to. Gretel had been promising me for weeks that she was going to come out last night so in my E-mail on Wednesday I put something about a rumor that Gretel may be making an appearance and that you can't put stock in rumors but you never know it could happen. The best part is my friend Becky E-mailing me and asking who Gretel is. That is when I realized that my karaoke E-mail list has such a hodge podge of people that everyone doesn't know each other.

Along those lines last night Leah invited her friend Nichole who lives near us and she came later. Gretel had her new man Sanjon there and then there was the usual suspects of Laurie, Canadian Andrew, and Andrew. We were all talking and hanging out and because of the E-mail I look around the bar and there is a group of 10 of us which is a small crew and about half of them I know from that bar. I mean I am friends with them we hang out besides on Wednesday nights but we met at karaoke. It is a weird feeling to just walk into that bar and feel relaxed and at home. It doesn't matter if I get there before anybody else and it's just me. I will sit at the bar and talk to the bartenders or the bouncer and just feel so much better about my week.

As far as my song selection went I decided to through back to some of my music from Senior year of high school and college and I did a couple alternative songs. It was the first time in a long time that both of my songs were new songs that I haven't sung before. Not only that but would you believe that Gretel picked one of my songs. She picked the Gin Blossoms out for me and it was a lot of fun. Typically when Gretel comes I am the one picking out songs for her to sing and when I ask what I should do she doesn't know what to tell me. After I did my first song and was trying to decide what to do next she just pointed Gin Blossoms and I was like. I could do that. It's always fun to try out a new song and see how it goes.

My song list:
3 Doors Down - Kryptonite
Gin Blossoms - Follow You Down

No comments: