Wednesday, July 16

Well it has been a long time since I have posted on here and I have been enjoying the first summer where I don't have to pack everything in before school starts or push everything off until the end after I take a stupid test. It has been great. I of course started out over scheduling myself and falling into my usual pattern of the past couple of years. I have been trying to slow things down a little bit now.

I feel as though now I have passed the bar I am at a bit of a crossroads in my life. I am an attorney and yet my company wants me to stay in the lowest title possible in my group and just keep doing the same work for a lot less money then I can make somewhere else. So I have been in a bit of a bitter state lately and I am trying to figure out what to do and if it is the right decision for me to leave even though I would owe Fidelity money if I do. The more that I look at my current situation I just don't think that I can sit here for another 10 months and train my manager on the law and Fidelity just to get out of my obligation when I am running the legal department for the sub-advised business for a quarter or what my boss makes and what does he bring to the table exactly. I just feel that it has been a great run at Fidelity but I think that it is starting to come to an end.

Now I have to start a job search which I haven't done in seven years because Jen got me into Fidelity so this is weird and unfamiliar territory but I know it's the right thing to do and I can't wait around for a company to see my worth I need to get out there and gain the experience and see what happens. So I am talking to some attorneys that I know that are 40 Act attorneys that I feel like I can ask for their help and I am not putting them in an awkward position. I am getting feedback on my resume and reformatting it. I just feel like I have been scrapping and fighting for anything that I can get and that at this point in my career I really should be in a different place. I realize that Fidelity helped me pay for school and that I need to consider that but now that school is over and I am no longer getting that 20K for school then you have taken that money away from me and now what???

I know this is a combination of things. I have a manager that I don't feel I can learn anything from and my career hasn't advanced at all in the past two years and I don't see how I can go from an SPM to an attorney and I want to be an attorney. I know how that can sound but you have to look at it from my point of view. I just finished going to law school at night while I was working and taking the bar twice while I was working. What is all of that for if I don't become an attorney??? I mean that is a lot of time and money sacrificed to achieve a goal and get a license and then not use it?? I mean that is really what Fidelity expects me to do and it sounds like maybe in 3 or 4 years we will try to get you an attorney position. Well that is great and all but I am going to go somewhere that will give it to me now because frankly there are kids out there with no experience getting hired so the fact that I have this experience can only help me differentiate myself. OK well enough about the state of affairs of my work situation. Until next time...

No comments: